According to the media, this weekend is when most Christmas gifts are bought. Although your first thoughts might not be to have a wine shop as a ‘gift’ destination, if you venture into The Whalley Wine Shop you will be surprised! Not only do we have fantastic fine wines, but a raft of other great gift ideas too.
In The Independent’s definitive list of gifts for women, number 2, is the iconic Laurent Perrier Rose Champagne! We have this on sale at only £37.99. We also have some fantastic Cognac, Liqueurs, Vodka, Malt Whisky and more, which you can see in our advert which we placed in the Clitheroe Advertiser this week. And we have a variety of gift wrapping options too.
In this weeks Clitheroe Advertiser you will see a full page advert for The Whalley Wine Shop, and in it we are showcasing our two special Christmas cases. Here’s a pic of the ad….
QUAFFABLE CASE FOR CHRISTMAS
Firstly, you can get a mixed case of 12 wines for just £59.99! This case is called our ‘Quaffable Case’, a super mix of 12 thoroughly quaffable wines, which make a great addition to the wine rack, or a great gift for those who like a slurp or two! And we always ensure a great mix of wines for less than a fiver a bottle. In fact if you were to buy the 12 wines individually you would be paying over £89, which means you save nearly £30 when you buy this case! Here’s whats in the case….
• Sartori Pinot Grigio Blush, Italy – Soft summer berry fruit in a clean blush style.
• Undurraga Gewurztraminer, Chile – Great intro to Gewurz, nice and aromatic but subtle delicate flavours.
• Tortoiseshell Pinot Grigio , Australia – Delicious Australian Pinot Grigio showing lots of round ripe pear fruit.
• Board Meeting Chardonnay, Australia – Funky and modern with green apple fruit and creamy vanilla finish.
• Altozano Verdejo Sauv Blanc, Spain – With good floral aromas this crisp fresh white is a great food wine.
• Aliwen Sauvignon Blanc, Chile – Refreshing and zingy with grapefruit citrus and a soft palate.
• Undurraga Brut Supreme, Chile – Premium Chilean sparkling. Champagne quality.
• Altozano Tempranillo Shiraz, Spain - Juicy Tempranillo fruit backed up with succulent, spicy Shiraz.
• Primitivo La Boheme, Italy – A lovely warming Italian red, great with pasta.
• Brisa Carmenere, Chile – Wine expert Jamie Goode’s best value red wine in our shop
• Worrunga Creek Shiraz, Australia – Soft, smooth, packed full of intriguing dark fruit.
• Rocky Trail Merlot, California - Bursting with soft, luscious, juicy fruit this light Merlot is incredibly popular
‘CLASSIC CASE’ FOR CHRISTMAS
You can also get our ‘Classic Case’ of 12 mixed wines for just £99.99, and the savings on this case are even bigger! This case is perfect for Christmas, a lovely mix of fizz, rose, whites, reds and a port too. If you bought it individually it would cost over £142, at £99.99 you save nearly £43! It includes…
• Codorniu Ecologica Organic Cava, Spain - Bursting with crisp green apple this is exactly how Cava should taste.
• Jean Luc Colombo Les Pins Rose, France - Beautiful dry Provence Rose with summer fruits and an elegant finish
• Pecorino, Italy - Subtle, delicate and elegant this is an exquisite Italian grape to discover.
• CVNE Monopole White Rioja, Spain – Delicious rounded white with lovely citrus, apple and peach notes
• Vidal Sauvignon Blanc, New Zealand - Mouthwatering, lip smackingly good New Zealand Sauvignon!
• Kleine Zalze Chardonnay, South Africa - Rich and voluptuous Chard, big tropical fruit, lashings of smooth oak.
• Zonin Valpolicella Ripasso, Italy – Seductive, fruity, stylish, quality ‘Baby Amarone’.
• Pomal Reserva Rioja,Spain - Smooth, mellow, oaky. This warming Rioja is great by a Christmas fire.
• Septima Obra Malbec, Argentina – Full bodied Malbec, big fruit, big velvety tannins.
• Errazuriz Max Reserva Shiraz, Chile - Rich and spicy this is multi-award winning Shiraz at its best.
• Bouchard Pinot Noir, France – Bright dark cherry fruit, balanced and elegant Old World Pinot Noir.
• Grahams 10yo Tawny Port, Portugal - Warming and fruity with seductive winter spice notes.
We will deliver these cases locally for free, or we can post them to any mainland UK address for just £7.99
TO ORDER A CASE PLEASE RING 01254 822581
You can see a pdf of the ad on this link… Clitheroe Advertiser Full Page Ad November 2013 (Low-Res)
We are delighted to launch our 2013 Christmas Promotion today! There are fantastic deals throughout our 16 page full colour brochure. We hope you enjoy them!
You can get a pdf of the brochure on this link…. wws-christmas-2013-web or you can scroll through the pages below.
Our Christmas Promotion begins.
The first advert for this year’s Christmas Promotion is out now, a full page in this month’s Christmas edition of Live Ribble Valley Magazine, showing off our first big Special Offers of the season! And there are some absolutely belting deals…
• The fabulous pink Champagne – Laurent Perrier Rose – was £49.99 now only £37.99, a huge £12 saving! What a deal!
• A 24 bottle case of Peroni for only £26.99
• The new Wainwright Mini Casks – first release of the fantastic Wainwright Golden Ale in 5 litre Mini Casks at a special introductory price of only £17.99
• The popular Louis Jadot Chablis – was £14.99 now only £11.99 , a £3 saving
• MezzaCorona Pinot Grigio Riserva, Italy, – easily the best new Pinot Grigio we have tasted this year. Was £11.99 now only £9.99.
• Beronia Gran Reserva Rioja, Spain, 2005 – a stunning Gran Reserva from an officially ‘Excellent’ Vintage, was £19.99, very special price of £14.99. Save £5
• And the Casa Baldassia Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, 2005 – Normally £24.99 a very special price for this perfectly mature Brunello of just £14.99 a bottle. saving a whopping £10!
You can see the ad on this link…. http://wp.me/pU22v-x4
A Feature in Live Ribble Valley.
We are also delighted to start our Christmas marketing campaign with an editorial feature also in the Christmas edition of Live Ribble Valley Magazine. We have copies of the magazine in the shop if you would like one, and we’re told that 18,000 of the magazines are printed and distributed throughout the Ribble Valley. You can see what the feature looks like here on this link… http://wp.me/pU22v-x1
Now Tasting ‘By The Glass’.
Yesterday was the day that this years Beaujolais Nouveau arrived at The Whalley Wine Shop, and we have some Beaujolais Nouveau 2013 from Georges Duboeuf open in the shop for you to taste. Beaujolais Nouveau is a red wine made from Gamay grapes produced in the Beaujolais region of France. It is the most popular vin de primeur, fermented for just a few weeks before being released for sale on the third Thursday of November. The Georges Duboeuf, Beaujolais Nouveau is available to buy at £9.99 per bottle.
Also to celebrate Beaujolais we have filled our By The Glass dispenser with a selection of 8 Beaujolais Cru wines these include:
• Laurent Martray, Cote De Brouilly “Les Feuillees” 2011
• Domaine Melinand, Chiroubles 2005
• Jean-Marc Monnet, Juliennas 2011
• Villa Ponciago, Fleurie “La Reserve” 2010
• Domaine Coudert Fleurie , Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive 2011
• Chateau De Beauregard, Les Colonies de Rochegres, Fleurie 2003
• Domaine de Rochemure, Morgon, 2011
• Dominique Piron, Brouilly, 2010
What a fabulous way to discover these wonderful wines. Tasting notes can be seen on this link…. http://wp.me/pU22v-wU
Our first advert for this year’s Christmas Promotion is out now, in this month’s Christmas edition of Live Ribble Valley Magazine, showing off our first big Special Offers of the season! And there are some absolutely belting deals, for instance……
The fabulous pink Champagne – Laurent Perrier Rose – was £49.99 now only £37.99, a huge £12 saving! What a deal!
A 24 bottle case of Peroni for only £26.99
The new Wainwright Mini Casks – first release of the fantastic Wainwright Golden Ale in 5 litre Mini Casks at a special introductory price of only £17.99
The popular Louis Jadot Chablis – was £14.99 now only £11.99 , a £3 saving
Masi MezzaCorona Pinot Grigio Riserva, Italy, – easily the best new Pinot Grigio we have tasted this year. Normally £10.99 now only £8.99.
Beronia Gran Reserva Rioja, Spain, 2005 – a stunning Gran Reserva from an officially ’Excellent’ Vintage, was £19.99, very special price of £14.99. Save £5
And the Casa Baldassia Brunello di Montalcino, Italy, 2005 – Normally £24.99 special price for this perfectly mature Brunello of £14.99 a bottle. saving a whopping £10! …….and there’s more fantastic offers to follow!!!!
See the ad below…..
We are delighted to start our Christmas marketing campaign with a feature and an advert in the Christmas edition of Live Ribble Valley Magazine. We have copies of the magazine in the shop if you would like one, and we’re told that 18,000 of the magazines are printed and distributed throughout the Ribble Valley. Here is what the feature looks like……
And if for some reason (eg a cure for insomnia), you might want to see a bigger version or print off a copy, then here is a link to a pdf version!!
Thursday Nov 21st is Beaujolais Nouveau Day at The Whalley Wine Shop, and we will be opening the Beaujolais Nouveau from Georges Duboeuf for you to taste. So if you want to sample the ‘new’ Beujolais Nouveau on the first day of its release then head on down to The Whalley Wine Shop for a free sample and tell us what you think!!
Beaujolais Nouveau is a red wine made from Gamay grapes produced in the Beaujolais region of France. It is the most popular vin de primeur, fermented for just a few weeks before being released for sale on the third Thursday of November. This “Beaujolais Nouveau Day” used to see heavy marketing, with races to get the first bottles to different markets around the globe. Beaujolais Nouveau is a purple-pink wine reflecting its youth, bottled only 6-8 weeks after harvest. The method of production means that there is very little tannin, and the wine can be dominated by such fruity ester flavours as banana, grape, strawberry, fig and pear drop. The wine is recommended to be slightly chilled.
At the shop on Thursday 21st we will be opening the Beaujolais Nouveau from Georges Duboeuf, always a leader in the styles of Beaujolais, including Nouveau. And we’ll be offering his Beaujolais Nouveau for £9.99 per bottle. Also to celebrate Beaujolais we have filled our By The Glass dispenser with…….
Beaulolais Cru wines now available “By The Glass’
You can also taste a selection of 8 Beaujolais Cru wines “By The Glass”, these include:
Laurent Martray, Cote De Brouilly “Les Feuillees” 2011 - Grown on, single vineyard, 100 year old vines. Lots of floral notes with raspberry and blackberry fruit nose. Lots of red fruit on the palate with a long mineral finish.
Domaine Melinand, Chiroubles 2005 - A great example of cru Beaujolais from the renowned 2005 vintage. A little pinot-er in character. More of a cherry nose here, with good acidity on the palate and a sour cherry flavour. Great style.
Jean-Marc Monnet, Juliennas 2011 - The Julienas Tradition is a superb example of how enjoyable well made Gamay can be, the nose is classically bright red fruited with added notes of dried herbs, especially thyme, along with a dusty cocoa note. The palate has wonderfully supple tannins that really give the fruit and good twang. There’s loads of black cherry and ripe raspberry to keep you interested and a great length of flavour.
Villa Ponciago, Fleurie “La Reserve” 2010 - Over 1,000 years of viniculture, “Villa Ponciago” was the original latin name when owned by the Abbaye De Cluny in 949AD. This wine shows a complex minerality specific to the hills it is grown on. Good fresh fruit flavours and a rich silky smooth finish, with subtle tannins.
Domaine Coudert Fleurie , Clos de la Roilette Cuvee Tardive 2011 - Despite the title ‘Cuvee Tardive’ this is not a dessert style of wine, it’s simply picked 10 days later than the main wine giving greater ripeness in the aromas and on the palate. Because of this ripeness, it has been aged in barrel rather than foudres which impart added structure and give it the backbone to age gracefully for up to 10 years.
Chateau De Beauregard, Les Colonies de Rochegres, Fleurie 2003 - A little older than the rest of the wines on show. Paler in colour. Ripe berries and raspberries, a little minerality and hint of sweetness. Quite a powerful palate with spices and an earthy finish, more Gevrey than Beaujolais.
Domaine de Rochemure, Morgon, 2011 - Grown on 45 year old vines, at the peak of their development. The wine is aged in old, large 300ltr barrels. Lots of red fruit on the nose, such as strawberries and redcurrants. These are followed through on the palate, with a little savoury black olive. Good finish.
Dominique Piron, Brouilly, 2010 - A great wine to share with friends with a big dish of stew. Rich black fruits on the nose. Nice blackberries and blueberries on the palate with savoury spices and a good structure. A nicely warming finish.