Customers of The Whalley Wine Shop have a unique opportunity to purchase fine wine ‘by the glass’ to drink and enjoy in the shop. This means that wine lovers will be able to sample the finest wines in the world before deciding to buy a bottle!
The Whalley Wine Shop has made this possible by investing in the very latest wine technology – a ‘by the glass’ wine dispensing machine which keeps wine in perfect condition, fresh, and at the right temperature for weeks.
In a whole new concept in the world of wine tasting, customers can purchase a full glass, a half glass, or a sample, from as little as 50p, from a selection of quality wines. This allows them to experience high priced fine wines in the shop before deciding whether or not to invest in a bottle or two. Customers simply purchase a tasting card at the till and can help themselves to a choice of world famous wines at the touch of a button.
We also have an attractive seating area outside the front of our shop which is surrounded by hanging baskets and planters for customers to sit and enjoy a glass of wine while watching the world go by. We have developed a wine list so that you have a choice of 10 or more wines which you can buy ‘by the glass’ for as little as £2 a glass. There is nowhere else that we know of where you can enjoy a quality glass of fine wine at such a low price, and in such nice surroundings too. What’s more, for just a small corkage fee, you can buy a bottle off the shelves and sit and drink it in the shop – a great value way of enjoying a decent bottle with friends!
A ‘by the glass’ card makes a great gift. The recipient will be able to sample some of the finest wines in the world at The Whalley Wine Shop, it’s also a nice way of enjoying a glass of wine when they’re about and about during the day in Whalley, or starting a night out on the town….and it’s also a great way of testing fine wines before they buy. You can put as much or as little value on the card as you wish. Just pop in and ask our staff for details.
Currently if you wish to try a glass of say the classic Rioja Marques de Riscal 2001, you would have to either buy a bottle at c£42 or search high and low to find a restaurant in the unlikely event that they sell it by the glass. Now you can try this wine at The Whalley Wine Shop, by the glass, from £1.70 a glass.
The Whalley Wine Shop believes we are the first wine merchant in Lancashire to offer the ‘by the glass’ technology. It’s simple really it’s just like a jukebox but instead of choosing classic records you choose classic wines. It’s a low cost, enjoyable way of sampling the best wines ever made, giving you the reassurance that you are spending your money on something you will love and enjoy.
Our selection of wines ‘by the glass’ is always changing. Here is a selection of wines that appeared together earlier this year.
1. Trimbach Cuvee Frederic Emile Riesling 2005, Alsace, France. The top dry Riesling from one of Alsaces best producers. We think this Riesling is utterly sublime. £37.95 per bottle.
25ml £1.60 75ml £4.80 125 ml £8
2.Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2010, New Zealand. THE iconic Marlborough Sauvignon showing all those groundbreaking flavours. £19.95 per bottle
25ml 80p 75ml £2.40 125ml £4
3. Ladoucette ‘Baron de L’ Pouilly Fume 2006, Loire Valley, France. This prestige cuvée has exceptional elegance and depth with lovely ripe pear flavours overlaying a firm gooseberry structure. £49.95 per bottle
25ml £2 75ml £6 125ml £10
4. Chocolate Block 2009, South Africa. A Whalley Wine Shop favourite and a top selling iconic wine. Rich, brooding and powerful. Available in magnums, but you might want to try a sample first. £17.95 per bottle
25ml 80p 75ml £2.40 125ml £4
5. Bertani Amarone Classico 2003, Veneto, Italy. On the nose fresh black cherry aromas. On the palate liquorice, spice, red-berry fruits and a long velvety vanilla note on the finish. Genuinely dry. £72.95 per bottle
25ml £3 75ml £9 125ml £15
6. Marques de Riscal Gran Reserva 2001 150th Anniversary Bottling, Spain. Classic Rioja selected from the best grapes of the 2001 harvest, ranked as the first ‘excellent’ vintage of the 21st Century with a quality only matched by the legendary harvest of 1964. £41.95 per bottle.
25ml £1.70 75ml £5.10 125ml £8.50
7. Ben Glaetzer Amon Ra Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia. A simply sensational Aussie Shiraz, a benchmark Barossa Valley Red. We love this wine! £47.95 per bottle
25ml £1.95 75ml £5.85 125ml £9.75
8. Chateau Leoville Barton 1985, Saint Julien, Bordeaux, France. Solid, aged but without the slightest sign of fading oxidation. Classy, delicious, serious without being intrusive. £100 per bottle
25ml £4 75ml £12 125ml £20